Madeira Cake

8:15 AM

One of the main reasons I started this blog was to document my favorite recipes (especially of my mom's, since she's an incredible cook) so that I can have them all in one place in the future. I decided to start off this thread with one of my favorite desserts since I was little - my mom's signature cake. When we were little, my brother and I would prefer it over any other cake-like dessert, and we would always request it for our birthdays (and we still do)!
note - my mom slightly adapted the recipe from one in the recipe book 500 Fabulous Cakes and Bakes


Recipe

Serves about 6-8 

Ingredients

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 cup butter (or margarine) - room temperature
  • 1 cup superfine sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 4 eggs

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease 9 x 5-inch loaf pan, line bottom with wax paper and grease the paper. 
  2. Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl. Set mixture aside.
  3. Cream butter or margarine, adding superfine sugar (2 tbsp. at a time), until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla extract. Add eggs one at a time, beating for 1 minute after each egg. Add flour mixture and stir until just combined.
  4. Pour cake mixture into pan. Bake for about 1 hour 15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  5. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn cake onto wire rack and let cool completely. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.

Contact